Melbourne Dreaming Day

Melbourne Dreaming Excursion on PhotoPeach

We are learning about Melbourne and Aboriginal culture.  We travelled to the city by train so we could visit the Koorie Heritage Trust. Len was our presenter and he taught us about many Aboriginal traditions and artefacts.  

We visited the Flagstaff Gardens because this is where the Aboriginal people used to live before it was settled by the European settlers. It was a special meeting place for the five tribes of Victoria.  They used to fish in the Yarra River and trade up on top of the hill with other clans.

In Victoria, the early Aboriginal people had to keep warm with their possum cloak.  In summer, the fur would be worn on the outside to keep them cool. They had a special relationship with the land and used only what they needed.  There were many traditions that were passed on from generation to generation through stories.

Birrarung Marr was a great place to visit too. We listened to Dreaming stories, sketched, played, reflected and observed the beautiful patterns and designs of the special artwork.  It was a fantastic day!

6 thoughts on “Melbourne Dreaming Day

1. Hey 3MT,
    I found last term excursion super fun !
    I am really excited to learn about this terms topic.
    See you later Laura :]

2. Dear Mrs S,
    We all had a turn to be in the possum cloak. At Flagstaff Gardens we went on to a hill and Len told us that Aboriginal people camped there. At the Koorie Heritage Centre, we passed around different weapons! We also went to Birrarung Marr! It was awesome, 3MT and I were able to draw the things we saw at Birrarung Marr. I loved the excursion! From Liam

3. Dear Mrs S,
    Thank you for leaving us a comment. We learnt a lot of things about Aboriginal culture. We learnt that at Flagstaff Gardens there use to be a river there! We also saw some possums in the trees. The possum cloak felt very cosy and warm.
    From Kaitlin D

4. Wow what a wonderful excursion. I wonder how many possums it took to make that cloak. Do you think I would look funny in the middle of winter wearing that to the shops? Elizabeth Guest.

• Dear Elizabeth,
      It would have taken lots of possums to make the cloak. You probably would look funny at the shop because no-one else would be wearing one. It was only worn by the Aboriginal people many hundreds of years ago. We had a wonderful time on the excursion.
      Thank you for leaving a comment to 3MT.

From 3MT

5. What a wonderful opportunity to learn about the Aboriginal culture.
    You look so cosy in the possum cloak.
    Thanks Mrs T for creating the slide show to show everyone about your excursion. The music made the slide show authentic.
    Mrs S.